Why does a company need a website?May 8, 2014
More and more companies and entrepreneurs want to create a multilingual site, a site that would provide a function for viewing information in different languages. This is due, of course, primarily to the target audience of the company, its size and the territory in which this company or entrepreneur operates.
When creating a site you must also think ahead of the further advancement of your project in search engines, and create a multilingual site according to all the rules of SEO optimization.
There are several basic methods for implementing the site in different languages, which we will talk about today and will try to find the right solution for creating a multilingual site.
Methods for implementing multilingualism
The main methods of creating multilingual sites distinguish three basic methods:
- Creation of sites on different domain names (site. En, site.ru, site.ua);
- (en.site.com, ru.site.com, ua.site.com);
- (site.com/en, site.com/ua, site.com/ru).
Creating different language versions of sites in categories is the easiest, and at the same time requiring minimal financial costs, way. The implementation of multilingualism on the site using categories can be different:
- Different addresses in categories/pages (within the same site) – that is, in the administrative part, you have a page/category of each language;
- A parameter in the address that specifies the language for the page (within the same site) – that is, in the administrative part there are pages/categories for which it is possible to specify
- The values of the fields for different languages are more correct than the poper. option, in my opinion;
- Physical directories (within several sites) – that is, created folders on the server and copied the site to the data directories and each of the sites is independent.
- The option to create physical directories can take place in the event that a simple HTML page is created, or a site consisting of 1-5 pages without a functional. However
- Today, given the increase in the number of Internet projects, the greater preference is given to full-featured sites with administrative panel.
Thus, the best implementation of multilingualism, within the chosen method, is the parameter option in the address.However, from the point of view of SEO optimization, the "category method" is not the best, so all versions of the site are on the same domain – one resource.
Creating language versions on the sub-domains can also be realized in two ways:
- setting up a server to handle a subdomain as a language parameter (within one site) – that is, just like in the "category method", there are pages in the administrative part
- With fields for different languages;
- Copying the site to the physical folder of subdomains (within several sites) – in this case each site is separate and independent from each other.
- As you probably guessed, the most convenient option for the client, and the most correct is the first option – Server settings. However, again, it all depends on
- Size of the project and page volumes. On the financial cost of this method is no different from the previous.
From the standpoint of SEO optimization, the method of implementing multilingual sites on sub-domains is virtually indistinguishable from the implementation of the category method. This method is used by large portals, Internet hypermarkets. Sometimes the sub-domains render the regional sections or large sections of the Internet shops.
The method of creating language versions on different domains is the most financially and laborious, so there is a need to redeem several domain names, as well as to administer several independent resources. However, all costs are repaid due to the fact that this method is the best from the standpoint of SEO.
In this case, you have multiple resources at once, that is, the search engine sees several separate sites in different languages, and in case of loss or decline in the issuance of one site, you do not lose others. Also, each site can be tied separately to the regions, which will increase the place in the issuance when searching for a particular region.
As you can see, the best option, however, and most costly and complicated, is the creation of three independent sites. However, this is not a critical recommendation, and the implementation of other methods are entitled to existence.
Also, do not forget that when developing a multilingual site, you will need to post content in three languages, edit it and work with content of three versions of the site separately, regardless of the method and implementation options.
There are usually methods of implementing language versions through Google Translate, which allows you to create a site in a single language, and translate it every time when referring to the special link. However, to create a full version in another language, this method is absolutely not suitable, but because machine translation, even from Google, is not always perfect.